1 July 2011

A ride into the clouds

Gabroo and I don’t see eye to eye. Chiefly because he stands a stately seven feet tall in his socks, while I barely make a meagre five and an inch on a good day. Yet, when his black eyes look deep into my brown ones, I feel a frisson of thrill run down my spine.

‘You and I will be just fine,’ I whisper, stroking his long mane. He snorts in return.

The guide grins wide, displaying shocking stained teeth. ‘Gabroo best horse. He really tame. He like you.’

I wonder with a stab of suspicion whether, by the word “like”, the man is indicating comparison or appreciation. Then in a rare fit of generosity I decide to...


Read the full article in the July 2011 issue of Equus

or

Request to read the original article via email for just 99p! (T&C apply)







850 words
Nonfiction/Real fiction

US publication

***********************

Words from the Wise

"My editor and I both liked your story very much, so much so that we'd like to put it in a more prominent position in our magazine. The beginning of your piece was perfect. The middle, about the journey itself, was excellent. The part about the temple is terrific. Love the ending. Thank you for bringing this to us. I just read some of your other stories online, which I enjoyed very much. Although we realize you don't have a lot of experience with horses, we would appreciate working with you again, should you have something in this vein."
Laurie Bonner
Senior Editor
Equus

"You have a nice fresh touch to your writing."
Sean O'Reilly
President and Founder
Travelers' Tales

"It's a nice little story."
Diane Redfern
Founder
Connecting: Solo Travel Network

No comments:

Post a Comment