25 March 2010

What's in a name?

devyani borade - verbolatry - what's in a name? - writers digest
“Once upon a time,” I begin my story, “there lived a king whose name was…” Here I stop. Henry? No, too common. John? Too short. George? Nah, I keep misspelling it while typing fast. Besides, why am I limiting this to English names? The story certainly doesn’t require it.

Let’s begin again. “His name was…” Mbwango? Hmm, a bit of a tongue twister. Kwon Yun Ming Chan? Too long. Muhammad? Not exclusive enough, too prolific and popular. Dmitri? Suddenly I’m trying too hard – and am still stuck on the first page of what was supposed to be my masterpiece.

One of my major problems when writing any story isn’t...
Read the full article in the March/April 2010 issue of Writer's Digest

or

Request to read the original article via email for just 99p! (T&C apply)






950 words
Humour
US publication

Includes exclusive quotes from best-selling authors David Baldacci, David Nobbs, Debby Holt, Jeffrey Archer and Jonathan Kellerman!

***********************
Words from the Wise


"I definitely enjoyed it!"
Moira Allen
Publisher
Writing World

"I thought your article was great fun and it was a pleasure to be involved in it! All (the) best, Debby"
Debby Holt
Best-selling Author
The Ex-Wife's Survival Guide, etc.

"(Your) article (was) very interesting"
David Nobbs
Best-selling Author
The Reginald Perrin books series, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment